Warning: There Be Puppies Ahead!

I mentioned in my last post that I had a couple of projects up my sleeve.

One of them involves dogs. You’re welcome.

Over a year ago, a board member of Freedom Barks, Inc. approached me to redo their current website. The non-profit is in charge of maintaining a dog park in Medford, New Jersey. The park is inside a much larger area called Freedom Park. The dog section is called Freedom Barks.

Get it?

Unfortunately, when we talked, the organization didn’t have the budget for the scope of the site that they wanted. But all these months later, the ideas I had for the site are still bouncing around my head, so I knew I had to make it.

The site is only the height of the user’s screen, and it navigates via horizontal scroll. The pages will “slide” underneath the menu from one to the other and back again as the user moves through the site.

By the time I wrote my last post, I had already made good progress on the web version mockups. The site is informational and ultimately very simple in construction. Not a hard site to make or improve upon. But I had a decision to make that added a bit of a design time.

Freedom Barks has a fundraising program where donors can create memorial stones to place on trails that run through their space. They have an order form of sorts on their site for these, but at the moment, the form is currently only an image for which you don’t have access to the full size. It’s not quite clear to me what purpose having it there serves, so I wasn’t sure if it needed to be remade. Still, I figured that having one would be more helpful than hurtful, so I made the time to craft a form for them.

The order form for the rocks “slides out” from the contact form via an orange tab to the right. As this is happening, the contact form dissolves into the first half of the order form, and the right panel becomes the second half. When the user is done, it’ll submit their information to Freedom Barks and prompt them to donate via Paypal. This will allow Freedom Barks to match the information with the donation and order the memorial for their donor. If that process doesn’t work for them and they’re still interested in the site, we’ll tweak it until we find something that does.

Overall, I’m really happy with how this turned out. I’m excited to move to build, as the site has a lot of mechanics that I’ve never built myself before. A great way to stretch my dev muscles. Roar! The designs will appear in my portfolio through the build phase.

I also built a prototype for the mobile version. Check that out too!